Dr. Mwesigire Doris
Position :Researcher, Makerere University College of Health Sciences
Dr. Mwesigire Doris is a Ugandan who was registred at Makerere University and a public health specialist with HIV/AIDS clinical experience and program management, evaluation and operational research. She holds A Master of Public Health from University of Nottingham, UK. Dr. Mwesigire’s career interest is health services research and building sustainable health care systems.
Doris is fascinated by searching for answers to the problems that are in the fore front of today’s health care arena. As a THRiVE PHD fellow, she studied health related quality of life in HIV/AIDS patients to address issues to deal with effectiveness of care, health care quality, health and well being of the individual and establish what happens to patients as a result of care, what care should be provided and how services should be organized
Doris Mwesigire-Mutabazi the second female THRiVE PhD fellow has successfully defended her PhD thesis and passed with minor corrections. Doris has been working on “QUALITY OF LIFE OF HIV PATIENTS ATTENDING AN URBAN CLINIC IN UGANDA: COHORT ”. Her opponent was Dr. Francis Bajunirwe, Department of Community Health, Mbarara University of Science and Technology and the examiners included; Prof. Duncan Neuhauser, Department Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Case Western Reserve University
From her study the following conclusions have been made;
- Quality of Life improved among patients on ART with relatively high CD4 count
- Patients on ART have poor mental health
- Use of either EFV or NVP regimen have comparable Quality of Life benefits
- Change in CD4 count does not predict Quality of Life
- Despite depiction of good Quality of Life by PLHIV, they still suffer from non-disclosure and stigma
- Doris Mutabazi-Mwesigire, Janet Seeley, Faith Martin and Achilles Katamba. Perceptions of quality of life among Ugandan patients living with HIV: a qualitative study. BMC Public Health 2014, 14:343 doi:10.1186/1471-2458-14-343.
- D Mutabazi-Mwesigire, Achilles Katamba, Faith Martin, Janet Seeley, Albert W. Wu. Factors that affect Quality of life among people living with HIV attending an urban clinic in Uganda” PONE-D-14-35452. Accepted for publication in PLOS One.